Thursday, July 28, 2011

Happiness is...

Many things are happiness, but today I want to share what happiness is in my life lately. Maybe I'll make this a regular posting every now and then about "happiness is..." Check in again to see if I continue it... ;)

Happiness is performing. I love to perform. I love being surrounded by people who love and appreciate the fine art of music, singing, dance, theater, drama, comedy. I have had the best time this summer making new friends, getting to know people better, and I've really learned a lot about myself and what I can do. When I first got the part of Rebecca, I remember asking Corey, "What if I can't do it?!" But after learning the music, lines, and putting in some thought about who Rebecca is and what her relationship is with the prodigal son, she became real to me- someone I can identify with. I've discovered that she is a free spirit, humble, compassionate, worldly, sometimes a little nosy, and she has some sass to her as well ;) In the end, she is a young woman in search of love, life, and family. She wants to settle down and have a home. And she doesn't take crap from anyone!

I got a text message from my friend and music director the other day that said, "Girl, you've been really on these past few nights- I'm very impressed!" I feel that I've waited for an opportunity like this for so long, and I am so fortunate to have been given this part- and I'm glad that I haven't let anyone down!

There have been times during rehearsal when I've pushed myself to become something beyond what I normally am. I have really stepped outside of my comfort zone, allowed myself to really get into the story, become emotional when it is needed, to sing out, and not worry about what others think. I've listed to criticisms, made necessary changes, and I've become aware of my quirkiness at times, thanks to honesty from the directors :) I've also felt very encouraged and lifted up in this role. It has been a wonderful experience, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I only hope I have the opportunity again soon to be in theater, to perform, to be a part of the theater community. I will be so sad when it's all over!

And the story of the Prodigal Son- we all know it, and this rendition of the story keeps all of the themes we expect- self-seeking and discovery, family, soul searching, greed, materialism, and finally, forgiveness and unconditional love of family, and of course, God's unconditional love for us. Rebecca's role is there to teach the prodigal son about compassion and the truly important things in life. She helps him along the way and gives him the right tools, but in the end, it is God who truly works through him to bring him home and make a fresh start.

We open tomorrow night- my nerves are already starting to settle in, but it's mostly excitement. Here we go! :)


No comments: