Friday, May 27, 2011

Remembering and Celebrating Gramma Moffett




My Gramma Moffett died this past Sunday, May 22nd. She was ready to go, lived a long life, and is now no longer struggling. It's a bitter sweet feeling now that she's gone. I find comfort in knowing that she was ready to go, had lived a long life, and it was just her time. I will miss her. She was always one of the more level headed people in our family in my opinion. She knew what she thought, she knew what she believed, and she was never hesitant to answer questions or talk with you about anything. She had a great laugh. She loved her family and appreciated each and every thing that anyone did for her. She loved dogs and cared for them as best as she could. She didn't like growing older. She was independent for as long as she could be. She was a football and basketball fan and enjoyed watching games with the family. She loved the color purple. When Leigh and I received birthday money from her, we knew that the $25 or so she would give us meant a whole lot more than a $100 check from anyone else. She gave from the heart. She had a great smile. She was also Roman Catholic...which is a path that she decided and went for all on her own!

I am so fortunate that I was able to have her at our wedding in August of 2008. She seemed so proud to be part of our family that night. I remember my mom and I standing with her at the window of our reception room looking out at the TN river and the full moon starting to rise. She was wearing a beautiful turquoise/teal dress. Everyone was there, and she was happy.



There were memorable holidays, too, like the Christmas where we were ALL together, and Leigh and I gave the grandmothers these quilt wall hangings with pictures of us. She hung it proudly in her hallway at her house. I think that was the last time that everyone was together for the holidays since I got married, and Leigh moved to OR.



It's hard to lose her, but I know that she is at peace now.

After I received the phone call from my dad about her death, I went and sat down on the couch and looked through some pictures. It was then that all the sudden it started to pour down rain outside. This lasted for 5 minutes, and then it was sunny and warm again. That morning in worship, we sang a song with this line: "There will be days when you want to give up- when the clouds settle in. But after the rain comes the sun- don't you ever forget....don't forget..." It was then that I felt a peace surround me and I felt her with me as well. Interestingly enough, my sister had a similar experience on the same day. She lives on through our lives and the small miracles we noticed around us.

I've received so many nice emails and cards from people, especially from some parishoners at church. The emails I received have had some similar words, such as, "Grandmothers make great memories." I couldn't agree more.

1 comment:

James F. McGrath said...

My condolences to you and your family, Jill.