Thursday, April 28, 2011

Are Children's Programs Considered "Worship"?

Here's what's on my mind today: children's programs in church. We have recently been working on a children's program for Mother's Day called "The Heroes of Lollipop Park." On Mother's Day, we will have one worship service where the program will take place. It involves mainly the kids (obviously), but includes all of our musical groups: choir, praise band, hand bells, etc. The program is about a group of children at a church who are fighting to not have their playground destroyed so that a memorial garden will be built in it's place. The children sing and tell about children in the Bible who made a difference. The content itself isn't bad, although I question the idea that the pastor is the bad guy who wants to get rid of the playground! Anyway, my question is this: are children's programs considered worship? On this day, there will be no sermon, but there will be some scripture readings, music, and singing songs of praise to God. There will be joyful laughter of children and adults alike, and everyone will hear stories of God's people. So, in a sense, I suppose it could be worship- God will show up no matter what we do I suppose. Honestly, I think my first reaction is to roll my eyes and say, why can't be do this program at another time? Why do we have to make Mother's Day all about showcasing the kids and their show in place of the normal worship time? Do people come on this day to experience God or to videotape their kids doing something "cute"? What are we really worshiping on days like this? The American family? "Family Values"? Kids? God? All of the above?

Call me old fashioned, but this is an idea that I need some more time to warm up to. What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Since this is taking the place of the message, is there a truth about God being proclaimed? If so, then I'd say it counts, but if it's just a cute program (which, sadly most children's ministries are), then it's not and shouldn't be taking place on Sunday morning.