Then I went to sing at another United Methodist worship service in town- a brand new one as a matter of fact. I was asked to help out as a singer in their praise band for a few weeks to get them started. At first, I felt burdened by this responsibility since I already have to deal with issues of a praise band as it is. But the past few weeks, this new opportunity has actually been a blessing for me. I can just show up and sing, not lead, and I actually get to worship in a new environment, hear new ideas, and see what is working for this new evening worship service. Even in the midst of the craziness that yesterday brought, I found myself rather fulfilled at the evening worship, which I did not expect to feel. The Easter message of the evening focused on new life and new opportunities, and the fact that there are times in our lives where we all want to start over with a clean slate, a fresh start, and new opportunities- new life. For me, it called to mind what "new opportunities" could mean for Corey and I and our future- whether it's with or without children, what our future might hold, what my life of ministry will look like.
I told Corey the other day that I feel like I'm standing on the edge of a cliff for several reasons- the possibilities are endless for my future as a pastor, for the future of our marriage, for the future of our lives. I liked the cliff imagery because I'm either going to fall or fly- and I'm hoping and praying to fly! It's all about perspective these days!

Either way, I feel happier now than I did a few weeks ago. I feel more hopeful than I did- my outlook is better, my world has broadened slightly, and I feel that my doors are wide open. All I can do is live into the Easter message of hope and the possibility of new life, whatever that may entail.
Easter blessings to you as you discover what it means for you to have new life!



1 comment:
Anne Lamott quotes an old gypsy tale in Traveling Mercies, "It says that after we jump into the darkness of the unknown, faith lets us believe that we will either land on solid ground or we will be taught how to fly."
Post a Comment