Saturday, October 30, 2010

What Would Your Sign Say?

A few weeks ago when Corey and I had our mini fall vacation to Knoxville, we passed this Baptist Church sign that said:

You make the choice.
God makes the change.

This got me thinking about the different theologies within the Protestant Christian denominations. My mom was in the car with Corey and I at the time, and I explained to her that that sign basically summed up the difference between a Baptist theology and a United Methodist theology. Perhaps if the church had been UM, the sign would have said this:

God makes the choice (chooses you).
You make the change (to follow God and reciprocate God's love for us through devotion and love to others).

OR

God makes the change.
You make the choice!

Am I off base here? Of course, I think that really either "sign" could apply to either UM or Baptist theologies in the end depending on how you look at it. UMs believe that God (the Holy Spirit) works within us to respond to God and change within ourselves. At the same time, we are to make every effort to use this gift of the Spirit to respond to God and to others, sharing the gift we are given, and this is our choice to change, to some extent. Either way, it made for an interesting conversation about God's prevenient grace and love (very UM!), how God calls to us in our lives, and how we are to respond.

What would your sign say?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't judge me by my followers.
-Jesus