Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Remembering My Baptism

A little bit of history- since I was never baptized as a child (or teenager) and was Jewish before a Christian, my baptism was a big deal to me. It was making my choice of Christian faith "official" and it also happened to symbolize the beginning of my journey into ordained ministry. It was March 6, and I was a senior in college, about ready to head to seminary, and I was just beginning the ordination track in the UMC. My friend, Brian, who was the youth director at St. Luke's at the time, had a big influence on my faith journey and still does today, baptized me. I wanted to be fully immersed, which was a choice I made awhile before it happened. I wanted to feel surrounded by water, as if in the womb, and feel the water rushing over me. I wanted to be literally surrounded by that sign and seal of God's grace and love. And so it happened that we had to go to the big Baptist church down the road from St. Luke's so we could use their baptistry. It was a Sunday night, and we took the church bus full of my youth group kids, and some of my best friends came, and it was a very special time. I have the privilege of remembering my baptism still today as an adult, while so many were too young to remember it.

Today I found myself in the church where I was baptized 5 years ago in March. I was at a workshop in the same church and wandered down to the sanctuary to see the baptistry. When I walked into the empty sanctuary and saw it, I wasn't totally prepared for my reaction. It took my breath away! It really had an effect on me for some reason. That special time came rushing back to me, the baptistry was even more beautiful than I remembered it, and I could almost feel the warm water of it again. I walked up to the front of the empty sanctuary and stood there for a long time, just taking it in. God was with me in that moment, reminding me of my baptism- reminding me that I am God's. I am watermarked, and I am not on this journey alone.

I remembered my baptism today and gave thanks. Won't you do the same?





3 comments:

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

Wow, Jill. Thanks for sharing. I was actually thinking about my baptism yesterday. My grandfather baptized me as an infant and he died a few months later of a heart attack. I definitely feel his presence as I continue on through this journey - and wish he could be here to help me through.

Becky said...

Oh hey I think I TOOK that photo of you and Brian! :)

Jill said...

Becky, these pictures were taken by Drew! :) This was back when she was really getting into photography. I remember strange things :)