Friday, September 4, 2009

So Much for Hospitality

My friend Karney and I have been planning a Ladies' Open House for a few months now. She is coming to visit, so we figured it would be a great chance to host an open house where ladies from the church can come by and have some fellowship, light snacks, and just to hang out. And Karney happens to sell Initials, Inc purses and accessories on the side, so this would help her out with some extra cash IF people happen to want to buy something. Making money is not the objective here! All I/we wanted was a chance to offer some hospitality to the women of the church and some friends that I've made here in the area. So, of course, someone had to complain about it. Someone in the congregation made a comment (not to me of course, because that would make too much sense) that it was inappropriate that I was having people over to my house where something was being sold, even though I have made it clear that no one is expected to buy anything! They have completely misunderstood what we are trying to do, and have made it into something "wrong" in their mind. So much for hospitality!

That being said, we are going to have a great open house for all the right reasons- the reasons we intended upon in the first place. If someone happens to want to buy something from Karney, then fine. If not, that's great, too.

Let's hope that the women who come will see this as a chance to make connections and deeper friendships, not sales!

2 comments:

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

I'm rolling my eyes. Some people ...

Becky said...

Hey Jill! Just wanted to say again that I had a fun time yesterday and it was great to meet your fellow Prayz friend. I haven't met too many people from your church and was sorry not to meet more- maybe at the next event!