I knew this would happen some day in my ministry, and that day has come. The senior pastor I work with received a nasty email from some members who used to be involved at church a few years ago- whom I have never met. This email was about how women in the pulpit (ie, me) are "Jezebels," "wolves in sheep's clothing," and are "leading the church into sin," etc, and of course, "are not supported by Scripture." And then they requested to be "removed from membership." I only know some of what it said of course because they did not have the guts to send it directly to me, and the senior pastor only wanted to tell me a little bit of it because obviously it would have been really hurtful for me to hear the rest. They quoted my latest article from our newsletter, and said that I was only there to lead people into sin and the church astray. This all somehow sprung from my story about how my sister and I used to get Easter baskets when we were little and Easter was more of a secular holiday for my family. Then later we re-adopted the Jewish faith into our home and did not celebrate it at all. My point was that now Easter is obviously important to me as a Christian and it has gained new meaning to me. They obviously took this the wrong way and are totally ignorant of anything having to do with me, my faith, or my ministry in the church. I can't believe how ignorant people can be! Whatever happened to the idea that in Christ Jesus, "there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male or female...all are one in Christ"? Whatever happened to the notion that even Paul himself sent women into the mission field? Whatever happened to the fact that according to Scripture, it was WOMEN who found the empty tomb while the MEN were scared and running for their own lives after Jesus' death? Seriously people. Welcome to 2009 where women are just as capable as men at leading and caring for a congregation. Women are just as capable of preaching the Word, baptizing, marrying, and providing pastoral care. Some might argue that women are more capable at some of these things. The point is that we all have our own gifts within ministry, and that we are all called for the same purpose- to love and serve God, no matter what gender we are. One thing that I cannot stand is ignorance. And the really scary thing is that these people are learning this from somewhere- whether it's from family, their current church, from TV, film, or books they are reading- it's coming from somewhere. This is why we have church shootings- this is why there is so much violence among religious community- ignorance. I can only pray that God will turn their hearts and open their minds to what really matters- the truth- because obviously that is exactly what they are not seeing.
5 comments:
I always like to ask someone who says that, "Does your wife wear gold jewelry? Really? Because Paul says not to 5 verses before the verse you use to justify no women leaders. Eat shrimp? Lev. calls that 'an abomination.'"
Don't let the bastards get you down.
I'm so sorry that you had to deal with sexist people who do not support your ministry. But AMEN to your arguments for women in the pulpit and for your courage to continue serving God in beautiful, creative, and powerful ways.
AMEN!!!!!
P.S. I read your article (you posted it here, right?) and I was touched - what an amazing journey into Christianity!! I was born and raised in the same church and sometimes wonder what would have happened to me if I was forced to make decisions about my faith without that base.
But - well said.
This is unfortunately part of ministry. There is always going to be someone who tries to make themselves feel better by brining others down. You can tell this person has no guts at all because they wouldn't even say it to you.
Your point about the female disciples being the only ones who stuck with Jesus until the end is the best argument against this kind of thinking. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment