This is my first year celebrating Holy Week as a pastor, and so far it is everything that I hoped it would be. It started last night with a quick Seder meal- we had the Seder plate and the foods on it, and I walked everyone through what a Seder is and why we as Christians should understand what it is. We quickly went through the order of the meal and then we had a light meal. People seemed really interested in the whole thing and had some great questions. We then went into the sanctuary and had a Holy Communion service. It was really nice. Then today we had the Good Friday service that I put together, and we had about 70 people there- a much bigger crowd than I thought, especially since the church hasn't done one in a long time. We had the regulars, people from other UM churches, and a few people from the community. Everything went well, and I think people really enjoyed the service. I was a little nervous because it was a different kind of service than most people are used to, but it seemed to go over well. We had a mixture of songs and scripture readings telling the story of the Passion, along with traditional Good Friday hymns. It was wonderful to see different people from the congregation having a part in it through the readings or music.
I think that a lot of us who are pastors are worried about getting so caught up in the business of Holy Week that we forget to celebrate it, but I think that I feel God working even more in the process of preparing for Holy Week. I have loved my preparation and being able to teach people about the traditions of Holy Thursday and organizing the Good Friday service. I am excited about preaching my first sunrise service. I am so thankful that God has called me to be a pastor. I love my job, even though the church can be a dramatic place and even though people can be very strange- I've had an interesting experience this week with a man who gets into patterns of calling nonstop and coming by the church, and he doesn't seem to have a concept of boundaries. It's just another example of the kinds of people that the church draws in- some require more grace than others...and of course, I won't be forgetting about my "friends" who called me a "Jezebel" anytime soon. It is Holy Week...and time to show a little grace, right?
Happy Easter to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment