Sunday, February 22, 2009

Good times, Bad times...God times

The man I had been visiting in the hospital died on Wednesday evening, and it was really kind of a shock to everyone.  About 2 weeks before, he had broken his hip while taking out the trash, he had surgery, they put him on the rehab floor, then he ended up in ICU on feeding tubes and a ventilator.  It all happened so fast.  He was such a big personality and was just a really neat guy.  This was really the first person in the church that has died that I actually knew pretty well.  The others have been sad situations, but I had not had the chance to get close to them.  This guy always wanted me to come see him and he was always so excited to share his stories with me and to hold my hand.  I know he will be missed. He was a father, a husband (married 57 years!) a grandfather, a brother, and a good friend to many.  He also served our country during the Korean conflict and gave himself in mission and service on tons of mission trips. I got the opportunity to share his funeral with the senior pastor- both he and I did liturgy and we both got to share a brief message about him during the service.  It turned out to be a large funeral, so I also got the experience (for the 2nd time in my first year!) to be a part of a big funeral.  Riding in the hearse was also an interesting experience...!  Being a pastor can be hard during these times when people die, but then I remember how we are so privileged to be a part of the good times and the bad times that people go through.  We are there at the beginning of life (baptism) at the joyful union of 2 people and their families (weddings) and at the end of someone's life.  We get to do things and see things that a lot of people don't get to see, and these things are not always the happy things in life.  We see people at the best and at their worst, and we know that God is still with them, and we hope we can share that good news no matter how hard something is.

All of that being said, I am overwhelmed.  It's amazing how busy life can be.  This weekend alone has been full of things- Corey and I went to a dinner at my church on Friday night after we tried to stand in the visitation line at the funeral home, and then on Saturday afternoon was this man's funeral, and the whole thing was about 3 hours with the service, followed by the graveside ceremony.  Then we had to rush to Corey's church for dinner and movie night with his youth group.  Then today we had normal church things, then a lunch with a missionary from my church, then the UMW were having an auction for local charities back at the church, which was actually really fun and hilarious.  You should have seen some of the things that people bid on!  I actually ended up with a sunflower wall hanging somehow...and I actually donated 2 of my Vera purses to the cause, which went for a lot of money.  It was a fun time.  In the midst of all this, I went to the retirement community and did the message for them there.  I now have a busy week ahead, including a trip to Indy for a Lent service with the bishop, and we might go see a car that someone is selling (a Subaru Forester, which is what I have my eye on!) and then Ash Wednesday services this week as well.  We are having a pancake dinner at church this week as well, so I am excited about that!  I'm constantly amazed at how busy a church can be!  Sometimes I feel so blessed to be a part of it all, and sometimes I am overwhelmed, but it always ends up being for the best.  I love what I do, and I am so grateful to be a part of it all- and that's what it really comes down to.

No comments: