Saturday, January 17, 2009

Things are looking up, as well as the temperature!

The past few days have been quite eventful!  First of all, our garage door decided to stop working on the coldest day of the year, and my car got stuck inside.  Luckily, Corey's car was outside the garage at the time, so I had to borrow his to get to work the next day.  Someone from church came over to help him open the door so I could at least get my car out, but the door is still broken even now.  So....our cars got to be outside in the -10 degree weather, so naturally my car's battery decided to die the next morning when I tried to start it up!  Fun times...

Oh, I should mention that I wrote a letter to the "upset" couple from my last post after I met with the lay leader about the situation.  I don't know if it will ever be completely resolved, but I feel better just knowing that I got the chance to speak my peace and now it's up to them.  I know I didn't do anything wrong, but I'm sorry I offended anyone and they got the wrong idea.  Such a challenging situation that I know I will probably face often throughout my years of ministry...

Meanwhile, Corey and I had an appointment to meet with someone about our taxes, which I was really stressed out about, but it actually wasn't too bad.  I think she will be very helpful to us, especially since this is our first time through this, and clergy taxes are confusing enough as it is. It was more of a relief than anything else.

And today was a great day- we got my car started and took it to get a new battery, and then we had a Fazoli's lunch, and then I got a new Vera bag with one of the spring patterns!  I am so excited!  THEN there was cotton candy at Walmart for sale, and THEN Butler won their basketball game- the first game that I've actually gotten to watch on TV this year.  Yes, I'm easily amused.  And of course, spending time with my husband and my dog is always wonderful.  We actually got above 30 degrees today, so I got to take Kole on a much-needed walk.  It's a strange feeling when 32 degrees feels "balmy"!

Corey and I are also trying to decide where to go for our vacation this coming year, which will probably be in September.  We are thinking about San Francisco or somewhere like it.  Any suggestions?  We were interested in going to Washington, DC until I looked at the hotel prices online...wow, no thanks!  That trip might have to wait.

Another exciting thing is that I've been asked to lead a workshop on "Passionate Worship" at a district event next Sunday.  I'm not really sure what exactly I'll be doing yet, but I'll spend this coming week putting that together, as well as preparing my sermon for Sunday since I am preaching.  I know that I am preaching on the "fishers of men" passage, but I'm not sure what angle I want to go yet.  It seems like such a well-known text and I don't want to just repeat the same sermon that I'm sure everyone has heard.  We'll see what I can do...

PS- Here is a video of Corey and Kole "talking."  I couldn't resist posting it :)

No comments: