The church can be the most frustrating place ever sometimes. Once something has been somewhat resolved, then something else comes up. A few months ago when I started the young adult class, we had an 8 week opportunity for people to try out a different Sunday school class, and that included my new class because we were doing a certain curriculum- so technically everyone was welcome, even though it was obvious we were trying to focus on young adults. Well, I had an older couple show up, and the man was quite outspoken, said inappropriate things sometimes, and dominated the conversation- so much so that I had a few of the young adults tell me that he was interfering with the class. My thought was to wait out the 8 weeks and gently remind them (and others in the class) that after the 8 weeks was over, we would be focusing on young adult issues and thanks for joining for the 8 week period- so that's what I did. And now this man is telling everyone that I was rude to them and kicked them out of the class, and his wife is so upset that she is no longer attending church. I don't even know where to begin with this. I know I did the right thing, in the right way, without calling anyone out in particular. There were others in the class that I was reminding because they were just there for the 8 week period. Yet this couple thought I was making an example of them and embarrassing them- and that's not what happened at all. I am so frustrated by this! Why do people do this, and in church of all places? Why didn't they just come to me if they had a problem instead of spreading an untrue story about me? I don't get it. Where is the body of Christ? Seriously?
While I'm ranting, I have to blog about American Idol...yet I never thought I'd be someone to talk about TV shows on my blog...but here goes anyway...American Idol is one of my favorite TV shows...and I was thrilled about the premiere last night. Yes, it's just another reality TV show. And Corey is right in saying that it's pretty bad that they embarrass people on TV (even though they subject themselves to this), etc. etc. But that's not what got me last night- this girl shows up in a bikini on the show- beautiful, great body, a model, etc- but she showed up in a bathing suit, sang horribly, and they let her through! It was despicable- and I usually don't get pissed off at TV shows, but this was so bad that I almost swore off American Idol, seriously. She basically distorted every female's body image in this country in 3 minutes. The message was this: if you have this body and look like me, you can sing horribly and get into a talent competition and will probably make it far just by having these looks and acting like a slut on national television. The people who have actual talent were probably overlooked before they even made it into see the judges (and trust me, I know someone who tried out and never even made it through the judges' door, and true talent was overlooked). Yes, I know I sound ridiculous right now, yes, I know it's just a dumb reality TV show, but it pissed me off.
Ok, moving on.
It's been an interesting week so far...not to mention that we are in the middle of a mini-blizzard with sub-zero temperatures. What else?
1 comment:
I don't know what to tell you. Church can bring out the best and the worst in people. I think individuals have wrap themselves up in Church so intimately that they're often unable to gain any real perspective on what's going on.
As for American Idol; I'm outing myself as a fan, but yes, I found that upsetting, too. "Don't worry girls, you too can be successful if you turn yourself into a sex object."
Post a Comment