Ok, enough complaining. Other happenings: I performed my first baptism yesterday. Well, it was actually 2 kids, ages 6 and 8. It went rather well. When I went to pour the water from the pitcher into the baptismal fount, the little boy said something like, "Wow! Look at all that water!" It was cute and something I wasn't expecting- haha...and then when I baptized him he giggled from the water on his head. They were cute kids! I am actually performing their dad's wedding in a few weeks. It's an interesting and long story which I won't get into here.
So I feel overwhelmed with life, particularly work, at the moment. There is just so much going on, and I have some days where I wonder if I'm doing the right thing with my life. The answer is always, "Of course I am," but I have my off days where I question these kinds of things. I'm still learning a lot about who I am as a pastor, and some days I feel like I take a step back rather than forward, and I think I need to work on being ok with that and figure out how I can be more focused and do better the next time. Sunday was one of my off days so far- nothing seemed to go right, not even my microphone was cooperating yesterday, which definitely did not help me. And the endless meetings leave me exhausted. If we spent even half the time that we spend in meetings on things like visitation, serving in the community, or preparing for worship or even praying, think of how much more pastors would accomplish. That's not to say that meetings are not important, but I think there has to be a more effective way to get things out there and done. I'm just saying....
And I've been doing a lot of hospital visitation lately, which is always emotionally draining. We have a member who is suffering a lot and has taken a downhill turn in a short period of time. The few times I've gone to see her, she seems to be fading away. Sometimes when I pray with her I wonder if anyone is listening. I suppose even pastors have those days when we wonder if God is here with us.



1 comment:
Have you had the "let's have a meeting to schedule our meetings" meeting yet? That's always my favorite.
Post a Comment