Ecclesiastes 3 presents us with the idea that, “For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted…” The list goes on, but the point is that everything on this earth happens in its own time, and we later learn from this passage that things happen in God’s time, and that God is constantly working for the good of things. As the new associate pastor of Memorial UMC, I believe that God has called me here for a reason and that this has happened in this time for a reason. My husband, Corey and I were “uprooted,” in a sense, from our lives in Atlanta as seminarians, from our friends there, from our churches there, and have been planted here. New beginnings are never easy and sometimes scary, but they are always exciting and full of promise. And with new beginnings in particular times in our lives, it is essential to put our faith and trust in the God who works for the good. Our lives are a never ending journey of self-discovery, transition, change, saying goodbye to the old, and hello to the new. For each stepping stone along my journey, I strive to keep God at the center, and trust that God is working a new and good thing in its own time. Above all else, I continue to seek and find traces of God in my life, in others’ lives, and the life of the church and the world. I invite you, the people of Memorial United Methodist Church, to begin this journey with me, to seek God with me, and trust that God is working for the good in this time and in this place. I am extremely excited that God has called me to this church, and I cannot wait to see what God is doing here at Memorial!
I leave you with this thought from Reverend Juris Rubenis, a Lutheran pastor from the country of Latvia:
Human beings do not have to seek the will of God.
The will of God is right beside them.
The will of God is in them if they seek God.
In Christ,
Jill



No comments:
Post a Comment