Friday, June 13, 2008

We are finally here!

After a few eventful and busy days, Corey and I finally arrived in Terre Haute safe and sound.  It all started on Wednesday morning when we went to pick up the HUGE moving truck that Corey was going to drive all the way to Indiana.  I was so scared for him!  But he did a great job!  We met up with the movers who were awesome and loaded the truck for us.  I followed Corey for a few miles outside of Atlanta just to make sure he was okay driving the truck, and then I went on my way to Knoxville for my wedding gown fitting while he drove to KY for the night.  On the way to Knoxville, we ran into this HUGE storm.  I have never seen so many cars pulled onto the side of the road before, and lightning was literally striking right next to us!  As I was on the rainy and scary interstate, driving 30 miles an hour for a really long stretch, I pondered about the crazy weather this country has been experiencing lately, and I was trying to find some meaning in it.  Is it global warming?  Some act of God?  Just the weather?  I couldn't decide.  Let's see...in the past week, I have experienced severe flooding, tornado sirens, crazy thunderstorms, swarms of locusts (in the car on the way back from Indiana), and the general heat of Atlanta earlier than expected.  And this is all happening during a huge transition time in my life.  I'm beginning to think that the weather is in sync with my life these days.  Does anyone else ever feel like that?

On another note, Corey and I are getting settled in our new home.  This is the first time we have merged all of our things and are living under the same roof!  It is quite exciting to decide where our things will go together and how we will decide how our home looks.  Just the simple act of merging our kitchen things was enough to make me smile and realize that this is all really happening.  Our street is very quaint and quiet, and cute.  Our house is awesome, and will be even better once we get everything unpacked.  I'll have to put some pictures up soon.  We live across the street from a funny looking little dog that sits and barks at us in front of our house.  I thought he was going to attack Corey yesterday when he tried to pet him!  We had a good laugh about that.  I call him Corey's new friend.  We had dinner at some people's house last night, and they live in a beautiful house with lots of wide open spaces behind it.  We realized how great it is to be out of the big city and to be in a place where we can just breathe and take everything in.  Tonight, we ate with the head pastor and his wife at a local English pub type place, and then they took us around Terre Haute, which was really helpful.  Tomorrow, we are finally going to the church for a dinner event, and then on Sunday is when I will probably be meeting a lot of people I will be in ministry with!  I'm very excited about everything getting started for sure.  Everyone so far has been great, and people put in a ton of work to get the parsonage looking nice and getting the dog smell out from the last person that was in it!  It looks great, and like every house has its quirks!

I still don't have my car and don't know when I'll be getting it since every reasonable road to Bloomington is closed because of the flooding...so we're going to make due with one car for now.  Moving is an adventure, and I'm sure always will be!  I'm so grateful that we made it safe and sound and that we are making progress on getting everything settled!  More and pictures later :)

1 comment:

Becky said...

Eeek! I'm glad you guys finally made it to Indiana....hopefully you'll be able to get your car sometime soon!
Keep me posted on Terre Haute and when you'll be preaching, I definitely want to make a trip up (over?)

Becky