Thursday, March 13, 2008

Randomness...

Yes, I know it's been awhile...and I was doing so well!  Anyway, it's been a busy few weeks for me with wedding planning, school, and spring break.  I feel like everything is happening at once, and I don't know what to do first!  While wedding planning is fun, it is also overwhelming.  Corey and I bought our rings the other day and I had one of those many moments when I realized that this is actually happening.  I am officially getting old.  I am months away from having my first "real job" and getting married.  I don't know how I am going to handle all of these new things, so if anyone has advice, bring it on!  Sometimes people ask me if I am scared to get married, and I say no at first and wonder what exactly is so scary about it.  Then I realize that getting married is promising to be with one person everyday for the rest of my life, and I think that may be a little scary.  People grow and change, and I suppose marriage is about growing and changing together and not leaving that person behind as you go.  It's also knowing that someone will still be there for me on my worst day ever, and we all have those.  If being engaged (only for over a month now) has taught me anything, it is that we all need to slow down.  I've gotten so caught up in the planning that sometimes I feel like I've not taken the chance to breathe it all in and remember to calm down and learn about the reality of a marriage- not just the wedding itself.  Not every day is perfect.  It seems that each bridal magazine I pick up or every website I go to, they make it seem like married life is all roses and butterflies.  While being engaged is very fun, this is true, I find myself wondering if the divorce rate is so high because young women don't take the time to understand what a marriage is- they are too busy picking out flowers and dresses, and worrying about the napkins on the linen tables.  Has the wedding industry ruined the sacred vows of marriage?

Speaking of vows, Corey and I have some great ones. 
In other news, I got a phone call from a head pastor of a church asking me about a possible associate position.  It sounded great, but I know that nothing is certain right now!  Surprisingly, the anxiety of waiting to hear where I will be living in a mere 3 months is not driving me crazy.  However, I am anxiously waiting and wanting to know!  Well, that's all for now...I'm surprised I wrote this much considering I'm still on spring break :)

1 comment:

Corey said...

Well... I think you know my stance on the wedding industry, seeing as how you've heard me rant about it repeatedly.

Hopefully you aren't too scared to be with one person for the rest of your life. Is there something we need to talk about? :P

I'm with you on the "we all need to slow down" part. People need to chill, to slow down, time to think about what they're doing, and our society is not geared toward slowing down at all. It's full speed, all the time. The world would be a better place if we all just took the time to live, instead of rushing through. It's too short anyway- why speed through it?