One of my best friends growing up was Jamie Kachel. She and I met in the 5th grade and became best friends right away. We did everything together, and we were your typical silly 11 year old girls. We went to the mall every weekend, prank called boys, stuffed our bras (haha) dressed exactly the same even though we were not "in fashion," and had sleepovers every weekend. We learned how to snowboard together and went on trips. We had some great fights and we always made up. However, life throws changes our way and she had to move to San Antonio, TX in the 8th grade because her dad was getting a new job. I was changing schools, my best friend was moving away, and life was never going to be the same! I went to visit her later on that same year at her beautiful new house in TX, and the next year she came to my Bat Mitzvah. I was supposed to visit her later on in the year but I got very sick and had to cancel my trip. That was the last time I ever saw her. We lost touch over the years and recently got back in touch about 2 years ago through email. She happened to find me online and we began emailing. She had 2 young children, was married, and wanted to go back to school to get a better job. We shared what was going on in our lives and talked about visiting each other someday soon. Well, I got a phone call from her husband last December. He had found my phone number on her phone and called me to tell me that Jamie passed away that previous April. I was in shock. In many ways, I still am. Sometimes I feel the urge to email her and tell her something, but then realize that she is gone. I keep pictures of her in my apartment to remember all of the fun times we have. I even have an old video tape of us where we had to make a commercial for hair spray in the 5th grade. I still miss her. Her 25th birthday would have been tomorrow, Feb. 17th. Like the ashes that "stick" that I mentioned in my previous post, Jamie has stuck with me and always will. I regret not keeping in touch with her more. I would have liked to have known the woman that she became and would have become. I would like to call her and tell her about the exciting things going on in my life and hear about her family and her job. I guess in some way she does know what is going on with me. In some way, maybe she will be at my wedding. In some way, maybe she will be sitting in the church where I am appointed. I find myself praying for her family- her husband and 2 small children, and her parents, and wishing there was something I could do or could have done...but knowing that prayer may have to be enough. I miss you, Jamie, and I always will.
No comments:
Post a Comment