Monday, March 4, 2013

Lent Devotion: "I am the True Vine"


I was asked to write a devotion for St. Luke's United Methodist Church in Indianapolis this year as a clergy person/friend who came out of St. Luke's.  I was honored to be asked to write one.  They are doing a series of devotions based on the "I Am" sayings of Jesus in the Gospel of John.  I chose to write about Jesus as the "true vine."  Below is the devotion I wrote:

“I am the true vine, and my father is the vineyard keeper…remain in me and I will remain in you.  A branch can’t produce fruit by itself, but must remain in the vine…I am the vine, and you are the branches.  If you remain in me and I in you, then you will produce much fruit.”  -John 15:1-5 (Common English Bible)

            In December of 2011, my husband, Corey and I had the opportunity to travel to the Holy Land.  We saw and encountered many wonderful things on our trip. There were so many sights, sounds, and feelings to experience as we walked in the footsteps of Jesus.  One image that has remained with me is that of the olive tree, especially the many we saw while on the Mount of Olives overlooking Jerusalem where Jesus prayed over the holy city.  Later, while walking in the Garden of Gethsemane, we were told that some of the olive trees there today date back to the time of Jesus.  The more I learned about olive trees, the more I kept coming back to understanding why Jesus was surrounded by them, and perhaps some that heard his words still might be standing today.  Olive trees are strong and hearty trees.  Their root systems are such that they are capable of regenerating the tree, even if the structure above ground is destroyed.  Some of the trees that we saw were thousands of years old with twisted, gnarly trunks, and many branches of shapes and sizes making up the canopy of the trees.  These branches had obviously been broken off or destroyed at some point, and had grown back in, yet the root and gnarly trunk remained.   
When Jesus tells his followers, “I am the true vine,” he is probably referring to more of a vineyard vine that produces fruit, but the image is the same: that Jesus is the root to which we all should cling.  When our lives get chaotic, loud, and distracted, we are to return to Jesus, the true vine, the root of us all.  Like the olive tree, when our lives feel destroyed, shattered, and broken, Jesus is there to bring us back to life.  Like the gnarled trunk and branches, we too may feel tattered, torn, and twisted, but Jesus as the root will reshape and transform us if we put our faith and trust in him.  As Paul tells us in his letter to the Romans, even if we are like the limbs of the olive tree that have been broken off, God has the power to graft us back in again if we realize that it is not we that sustain the root, but the root that sustains each of us.
Lent is a time of turning back to God as our root and our true vine.  We remember when Jesus might have prayed in the shadow of an olive tree at the Garden of Gethsemane: “Abba, Father, take this cup of suffering from me.  However, not what I want, but what you want be done.”  This unthinkable act of love from Jesus reminds us of his strength, power, and capability to withstand space and time, to transform and recreate us, to graft us back in no matter how far we might have strayed.  With Jesus as the true vine, we are reminded that we cannot produce fruit of our faith without trust in him.  And finally, when Jesus says, “I am the true vine,” he proclaims his strength and power, that we might know the root of everlasting love.

Gracious and merciful God, we thank you for Jesus, the true vine.  During this Lenten season, may we turn our hearts to you once again so that we may be transformed, recreated, and grafted into the community of faith in order to produce fruit that reflects your light in a world of darkness.  Shape us, mold us, make us new.  Amen.

No comments: