This past week was Week 4 of my class on the book, What's the Least I Can Believe and Still Be a Christian? The class is going really well overall, has been well-attended, and we've had some really great discussions. This past week dealt with the issue of the church and homosexuality under the topic of what Christian's should NOT believe (that God hates gay people!) I approached this issue with caution, because I know that this congregation is rather divided over the issue, just like a lot of churches out there. My goal was for us to have an open, respectful, and honest conversation, and for the class to learn about the background of the church about this issue, where we are now, and also about understanding the context and misreadings/misuse of scripture and texts that address homosexuality. We had people share their thoughts and experiences from all sides and positions, and yes, there were some tense moments, but we got through it.
Although some of the comments were disheartening (from my point of view), the good news is that we were able to sit down and have a civil conversation where no one felt judged or belittled, and that all felt that they were heard. I was trying to be really neutral about the whole thing, although I said a few things that gave away where I stand, and that's okay. I also became aware of just how much our upbringing has to do with what and how we believe. We discussed how children and teens today are growing up in a society and culture where being gay is becoming more and more "normal" and people are more accepting of it. Just look at the TV shows out there: The New Normal, Modern Family, and Glee just to name a few, that all portray gay couples and celebrate the gay identity. The next generation is growing up knowing that gay people are human just like the rest of us, and to celebrate and live into who we truly are, regardless of sexual orientation. It's when I think about things like this that I realize just how behind the church is, and then I get stuck and frustrated when I think of how much we have to overcome to "catch up" with the rest of the world. But I believe there is hope, and I saw glimpses of it the other night when a group of older adults in small town IN were able to sit and have an open conversation about such a challenging topic that gets to the core of how they were raised, their understanding of scripture and faith, and to come face to face with a "lifestyle" that is foreign to them. And even in a small town in southern Indiana, that we are a church that has embraced several gay couples as part of the church family. That in itself is really something to celebrate. We had a laugh when someone reminded us that our church has been called "condemned" by some people and churches in the town because we have gay people attend. We decided that we were not condemned, but that God is celebrating our church because we are acting like Christ would act. What a concept!
Thinking about Protocol Droids
1 week ago



1 comment:
Good job Jill! Tell Corey "Hey" from Manna and me.
Post a Comment