Hello, blog world! It's been a busy few weeks of ups and downs, tough ministry work, rewarding ministry work, and fretting over the future of Corey's job, seeing as he still does not have one. He went through 2 phone interviews, plus an in person interview for one job, and we waited by the phone for almost a week (which was supposed to be only a few day wait!) and then he was told he didn't get it. After all that waiting and interviewing, etc., we are feeling defeated right now. He is having to start all over with the job search. And the search continues. I've been feeling really frustrated with the UM system lately, mainly because of the placement of young clergy. I specifically had said on my "will move" form that I was concerned about Corey finding a job since he needs to pay off student loans, and we are a young couple and don't want to be in a rural or isolated setting. And what did they do?! Put us in just that kind of place. I'll admit that the cabinet did a good job of placing me at Morgantown since it seems to be a good fit for them, but the location for Corey and I to have friends, meet people, and getting him a job have been frustrating and painful. I don't know what the answer is to this problem or if there is a solution. I just know that something needs to happen SOON.
I also had my first session with the Wabash Pastoral Leadership program- a 2 year program for Indiana clergy who have been in ministry 5-10 years, all denominations. I was nominated and then applied, and got accepted! We had our orientation session where we got to meet one another and hear more about the program. It's based out of Wabash College and funded by a Lilly grant, so everything is paid for and very nice. We will meet every other month starting in January 2013 and it continues through 2014. We will get to learn and fellowship together, and take 2 trips- one national and one international. We don't know where we are going yet, but this year's group is going to South Africa, for example. I am excited about this opportunity and look forward to our sessions beginning. There are 5 UM clergy that are part of the group, so it will be fun to get to know colleagues better as well.
I am still discovering about life at Morgantown UMC and what all is needed here. More and more, I am learning that people here wanted to be cared for and to know that they matter and are important (a lesson I am learning more and more every day as a general rule of humanity!). I am getting the sense that pastoral care has been lacking over the past few years and is something that is desperately needed, and I am trying to make up for that loss. I am also offering a 6 week class on the book, What's the Least I Can Believe and Still Be a Christian? I wasn't sure how people would respond to a weekday evening class, but I figured I'd give it a try- and I have 15 people signed up to attend! I was really surprised at this number, and hope it goes well. I think that people are hungry for knowledge and leadership, and I hope I'm providing for that need.
That's all that's new around here- ministry, visitation, sermon prep, trying to see friends, and job searching for Corey. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers!
Thinking about Protocol Droids
1 week ago



No comments:
Post a Comment