I have recently joined “Pinterest,” a popular website
(pinterest.com) where you can share everything from clothing ideas, makeup
techniques, crafts, to recipes, art, and inspirational words with people from
around the world. If I’m browsing a
website and see something that I like, a recipe I’d like to try, even a
ministry idea that I’d like to remember, all I have to do is click “pin it” on
my web browser and it’s pinned to my Pinterest “board” for all to see- like a
virtual bulletin board. I could spend
hours just going through the hundreds of posts that appear on my page to see
what other people are doing, cooking, making, or seeing what things they
enjoy. It’s a good way to get ideas and
share ideas about life and enjoying the simple things.
So this got me thinking:
what if God had a Pinterest page? What
kinds of things would God “pin” on it?
Acts of kindness? Prayers? Beautiful creations such as inspired works of
art or poetry? Items from our yarn
ministry? Mission ideas and projects? Pastor’s
sermons (uh-oh!)?, Worship services?
Songs? Baptisms? Celebrations of Holy Communion? Moments of justice? Moments of wisdom? Tears of joy or sorrow? Small miracles? Times when someone turns to God for the first
time?
These are just some things that God might pin on God’s
Pinterest board. There are things that I
believe that God would not “pin” to keep for later, such as: wrongdoings, human
suffering, sin, war, hate, greed…I could go on.
But the good news is that God does not hold onto these things- rather
God works through any evils and through us and comes “that we might have life
and have it abundantly” (John 10:10). I
like to think that each and every single one of us would appear on God’s Pinterest
board if God had one, for God calls us all into a loving relationship with him. And, of course, may God always be our most
important “pin” on the Pinterest board of life, that we might always be
reminded of our walk with the One who Redeems, Sustains, and Gives us
Life!




1 comment:
Something tells me that God wouldn't be "pinning" too many sermons to the board, but lots of small, largely unnoticed acts of selflessness and beauty that occur outside the walls of the church.
Post a Comment