Sunday, January 22, 2012

Celebrations

This is a day with a lot to celebrate- there are times when I feel frustrated with certain things about being a pastor, like dealing with certain people or situations, and the small petty things that come up occasionally in church life.  Then there are days like today when I really see God working in the life of the church and I catch glimpses of the spirit moving.  These are the days that make it all worth while.

Today we had 152 people in our 11:00 am Prayz service.  WOW!  Just think...4 years ago there were maybe 50-70 people attending that service, and today there were 152.  I don't even know what to say about that!  Seriously!

And the Prayz band rocked out today.  I mean, we sounded good, no one was fighting, no one was annoyed, no one complained about the volume.  We are getting things done efficiently.  We were a normal praise band.  Now I know this might be short-lived- in a few weeks some kind of drama will probably occur, but I have to celebrate these times when the clouds part and the light comes in, you know?  Amazing.

Another celebration was that confirmation class was actually fun today- we played United Methodist Jeopardy- they learned, they laughed, they actually knew a lot of the answers after my short lesson.  They looked and acted alive- I'll take that over zombie teenagers any day!  Totally worth the morning I spent making the Jeopardy game yesterday.

There is life in the church.  Sometimes you have to look for it.  Sometimes it's right in front of you, waiting to be discovered.

No comments: