I love to people watch. Are you with me? Everywhere I go, I people watch. I like to wonder what people's lives are like. Are they married, single? What do they do for a living? Do they have children? Are they happy, lonely, or sad? And why on earth would they think that that haircut is a good idea, or that sweater? And sometimes I wonder where they found such a cute purse or pair of shoes...but mostly I just wonder about the people themselves. Who they are, and what their purpose in this world might be. Airports are always the best place, but there are always shopping malls, grocery stores, and of course, Walmart. If you haven't checked out the peopleofwalmart.com website, I highly recommend it for some good laughs, if you like that sort of thing.
People watching is usually funny and harmless fun, but every now and then can make you realize among all of the crazy and weird people out there, that some are decent human beings with big hearts. These kinds of strangers make you stop and realize how precious life is, and to put things back into perspective, even for a brief moment. I had a moment such as this today while waiting with my shopping cart in the entrance of Walmart while Corey was getting the car from the oil change place. In my solitude, I naturally began to people watch- people of all kinds coming in and out of the store. Finally, a young mother by herself, about my age, with an infant and another young child came through the door. She seemed in good spirits, and lifted her youngest child into the front seat of the cart, and then was about to put her older child into the back of the cart when an older woman walked in and offered to pick the child up and put him in the cart for her. She smiled a big smile and thanked this woman with sincerity and went on her way to shop in Walmart, going on her way. A random act of kindness...even in Walmart....I stood there for a moment and smiled to myself, thinking, maybe this world isn't such a bad place after all, and I was reminded once again of those cracks of light shining through. So if you don't people watch, try it sometime...you might just find yourself inspired :)
Thinking about Protocol Droids
1 week ago



2 comments:
I love people watching as well. It is so nice when people watching to witness a random act of kindness like the one you saw.
Love this story!
Post a Comment