Sunday, January 17, 2010

God and Haiti

It's been awhile, I know...but I honestly haven't had too much to blog about, yet lots to think about. Does that ever happen to you? Anyway, I guess the biggest thing on my mind, and on just about everyone else's, is the earthquake in Haiti. I just read an article about how some people are responding in faith (or not) to this tragic event. In this article, the writer says that the sounds of worship drums or people singing hymns can be heard on this Sunday morning. Some are preaching out in the street, proclaiming the end is near. Particularly, the image of the dead body in the entrance of the destroyed cathedral where people are coming to worship struck me, and the scene is definitely as the writer points out, "apocalyptic." I will point out that I disagree completely with a quote in there from a priest that said, "This is God's will." I do not and will not understand that way of thinking in this context, and that is for a different blog post altogether!

I couldn't help but feel guilty in worship this morning as we sat in the sanctuary, warm and cozy in our pews, wearing our nice clothes, freshly bathed, and the promise of cookies and coffee, and lunch after church with family or friends, going home to watch football, and carrying on with our lives while so many people (Haiti and otherwise) around the world are suffering immense amounts of pain, hunger, etc. This article reminds me even more that some people during tragic times turn to God, and some get angry and point fingers at God and ask why such things happen. I preached a sermon awhile back on Job and focused on the idea that during these horrible times, we shouldn't necessarily ask only "why?" but also, "Who?" The "who" in this situation is God: God is the "who" that is with us during these hard times. On this topic, I am someone who needs to remind myself to practice what I preach, because leaning on the "who" is not always the easiest thing to do. I tend to want to dwell on the "why" or ask "where?" is God in all of this? I tend to lean with those who get angry and want to understand how something so horrible could happen to an already hurting and suffering people. I am also realistic about the fact that earthquakes are natural disasters with scientific explanation, but why Haiti? Why do the tsunamis and hurricanes tend to hit the poorest and downtrodden of places? It's not really helpful to dwell on these questions, but I can't help but ask them anyway. Whenever I find myself in this downward spiral of thinking, I always have to shift to a line of thinking that involves seeing the small miracles that do appear in these situations. Anne Lamott talks about seeing the "cracks of light" in one of her books- that in her deepest despair, she was told not to think of a cracked and broken life, but of the light creeping through those cracks. So each person that is rescued from the destruction is a miracle. The fact that all 9 people on a UMC mission trip from IN are safe and on a plane back home is a miracle. The millions or billions of dollars in charity that is pouring in each day is a miracle. Seeing an entire world come together to help is a miracle. That's where we have to find God, and that's when we shift our thinking from "why?" to "who?" And that's the light that shines through the cracks. This is the prayer that I prayed this morning in worship, written by Dr. Pamela Lightsey. I will leave you with her words:

O God, we have been stunned once again by an event
Which seems so unnatural and yet is called "natural disaster."
We have no words to answer the "why" which we feel,
No wisdom to explain away the unexplainable areas of life.
Keep us from attributing this event as a heavenly reprimand,
Or from a certain haughtiness that tempts the distant soul.
Give us to be compassionate and gentle, servants to those in need.
Remind us of your gracious love in the midst of sorrow,
And your ability to work miracles when hope is faint.
We pray for those who suffer in Haiti even now
And for those who await rescue.
For relatives, for the children,
For mothers and fathers,
Sisters and brothers,
Grandparents, aunts and cousins.
For the survivors who question what more they might have done.
And for those who must keep on keeping on, in spite of.
For the leaders,
For those who bring aid
And those who await news.
Strengthen and encourage them we pray.
Now unto you, O God, we take the burdens of this hour and place them in your divine care.
For all you do and are doing, seen and unseen, we give thee thanks, Eternal God of All Creation.
Amen.

1 comment:

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

I always try to remind myself to visualize the Christ candle that remains lit after the Passion has been read on Maundy Thursday and all of the other candles extinguished. There is a Christ Light shining - somewhere. It's a matter of seeing it - or even just believing that it is there.