Sunday, October 18, 2009

Part of the Story

My last post was about "one of those weeks," and now it's Sunday, and I have survived the week, stress-free for the most part. When I do have one of those weeks where everything seems to happen at once, it's also one of those weeks when I remember why I am so blessed to be called into ministry. I did a funeral on Thursday for an elderly woman that passed away, and I got to know her through the stories her family shared with me. And then today I got to baptize a baby for the first time, which was one of the neatest things I have gotten to do so far! He was so well behaved and cute, and I am not a baby person...but it was really really cool. I also baptized his older brother today, and that was neat, too, because he was really excited about being there and what was going on. In all of this, I had a realization (again) that I get to be a part of people's lives throughout their span of years and events- birth (usually entails baptism), weddings, and at death- funerals, and everything in between. It really is amazing to get a glimpse of people's lives and stories, and to get to be a part of them, even if it's for a short time. So the circle completes itself once again- death- passing on to be with God, and birth- bringing children into the fold of God's love- and I am so blessed to stand in the midst and be a part of the story into which God calls us all.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm so glad the baby-baptism went well- I know you were nervous about your first infant baptism!! Congrats & say hey to Corey for me when he gets back from that Bridge thing :)