One of the recent themes of United Methodist publications, articles, and online conversations is young clergy and the sharing of clergy call stories. The hope is that sharing our call stories with others will stir up in young people the desire to consider ordained ministry in the church and to listen to God’s call in their lives. Throughout the ordination process, I have shared my call story many many times. But I feel that not enough people outside of the process hear their pastors’ call stories, and perhaps we as pastors should be more open to sharing how God calls us to ordained ministry.
My call story is not one where I had a “moment” of clarity or a “moment” that I heard God’s voice and knew that I was supposed to be a pastor. My call was more of a process than anything else. Interestingly enough, I have found that John Wesley’s ideas about our lives being a continuing process where we are constantly growing in God’s grace and moving toward something greater fit into my life’s calling very well. I know that I am constantly growing and learning about God’s call on my life, and growing in the knowledge of God’s grace. My call actually began when I became a Christian out of the Jewish faith, which many of you already know about. Once I began to live into this and to grow as a Christian, I realized that I wanted to go deeper. When I decided to study religion academically in college, I knew that I wanted to teach, either at high school or college level. This is a step of my call story. When I was asked to be a youth director for a large church in Indianapolis, I knew God was nudging my heart and wanting me to consider ministry in the church. When I accepted an internship to become a chaplain at a hospital, the pull on my heart happened again. When I told someone, “I want to be a pastor,” that was when the doors literally flew open and many people affirmed and supported my choice to enter into the process, and this stayed with me throughout my seminary training. I have been surrounded by many wonderful and supportive people throughout the process, and have been covered in prayer. The key for me was and is to remain open to the doors that God opens for us and to take opportunities that we might not ordinarily take. Consider your options and listen for God’s voice, and hopefully the rest will fall into place. Ordained ministry is not an easy vocation, but it is a very rewarding and fulfilling one. If you feel that God has placed a call on your life for ministry- ask questions, tell someone, explore your options, and do not be afraid! And no matter what vocation you choose in your life, know that God calls you to be there, God uses us to glorify Him, and we are to be stewards of God’s kingdom.
Thinking about Protocol Droids
1 week ago



No comments:
Post a Comment