Thursday, July 9, 2009

Summertime Blues

I discovered a long time ago that I am not a fan of summer, and that makes me in the minority, I know. Things move so slowly, it's HOT and humid, and there is not much going on. The church is a dead zone, no one coming in or out, no special classes or happenings, nothing for me to teach, attendance on Sundays is low, the Prayz band members are busy doing things with their families, friends and vacations, so the band has been struggling to remain alive during the summer, and things are just boring! There is never anything on TV either. I've started watching that horrible show, "Hitched or Ditched" just to have something to watch. Trash TV 101! Corey and my mom give me a hard time about this because I like having things to do and I like having things going on around me. Entertain me, please! ;) It's hard to even find the motivation to do things when there is nothing going on. For example, I should be working on my packet for ordination, answering the theological questions (which I only have 3 to go), but I just can't seem to get there right now...at least I'm already ahead!

However, there are some things to look forward to, such as my first big wedding next weekend with a great couple, our weekend trip to Chicago coming up this weekend (we leave tomorrow!), my birthday in a few weeks, our trip to Niagara Falls, and football season is right around the corner, with Colts training camp right here in Terre Haute and season tickets in the fall!

I've also been trying to figure out what I want to teach here at church in the fall. I've thought about doing a class on "Images of God," which would involve a discussion of The Shack and would include movie and media clips about images of God in our modern world. I'm hoping to bring back our young adults and some others of course. Then I would also like to do another Bible study. My original thought was to do another year of a class just for women, but I don't know if I'd be missing out on some other people who would want to learn about something in particular. Maybe a study on Romans or Revelation? One of the Gospels? A study on a person or persons? I've also considered a class on Methodism 101, but I know that we've recently had a John Wesley class, so I wouldn't want to do a repeat. Any thoughts on this? What are people interested in in your church today?

Here's hoping that your summer is full of excitement...or not... :)

1 comment:

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

I don't like summer, either. It's too hot. The humidity puts me in a bad mood. My georgia power bill makes me cringe. And there's no structure. Give me a snowstorm and busy days any day!!