Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Recovery

Life is funny sometimes. After my horrendous Sunday morning, I went to the assisted living home to share a message with them, and I ended up sharing my bad morning experience with them and used it to say that we all have these days and that God is there to be our calm in the storm. And of course they all can relate to that because we have even more of these days when we get old! Then I was promptly invited to "have drinks" with the group of little old ladies who have it all going on! They are so funny...talking about their outfits and who did what and who wasn't looking so well at lunch.

Then Corey and I had interesting conversations about evolution and reptiles over dinner with the young adult group we've been hanging out with. It's definitely an interesting experience being a rather "liberal" voice and (gasp!) a woman pastor in a group of rather conservative Christians. I enjoy spending time with them, but let's just say we understand things very differently. As long as they are ok with that, so am I...most of the time!

And it's been a good week so far. I'm about to head to my 2nd Zumba class. I started going last week and really liked it, so I'm looking forward to checking it out again tonight. My dance team days are starting to come back to me! I also wrote my sermon in a little over an hour today, and that's really a record for me! I have been thinking about it for awhile now, and it really just needed to be written out in an organized fashion, and now it's ready to go! I'll share more about that later. AND I'm preaching on my birthday, which is this coming Sunday. I'm really excited...because how often in my life will my birthday fall on a Sunday?! I went through my entire life celebrating my birthday in the middle of the summer with nothing going on and a lot of people being gone, and I never got my locker decorated in high school or cupcakes or a party in elementary school when everyone else got to celebrate their birthdays in school- oh the angst! :) (but I have had some wonderful birthdays anyway, but still!) So finally I'll be able to celebrate with my friends and church family on Sunday and I get to preach! My sermon better be good, right? :)


Til then...

2 comments:

ButlerBowldog said...

I feel your pain on the summer birthday. Mid-June had the same issues. Plus, I occasionally share mine with Father's Day. It's really no big now, but as a kid, it was a drag.

Unknown said...

Statistically your birthday will fall on a Sunday about once every seven years...

Oh wait, you were being metaphorical!

I'm impressed you wrote a sermon in one hour. I've never been able to do that!