Wednesday, May 20, 2009

To Mentor or Not to Mentor...that is the question...

This past school year, I have taken on the challenge of being a mentor for a second grade girl.  She's eight years old with bright red hair and freckles.  Cute kid.  But...I'm trying to figure out if I want to do this program with her again next year.  She is a handful...and she comes from an "iffy" family.  I won't go into details, but kids usually get put into this mentor program if  there is trouble at home, or learning or behavior issues.  I know that part of it is not really her fault.  We are where we come from- I understand that.  The school originally wanted to hold her back a grade, but her family decided not to, so she is very behind and needs some extra help.  The whole thing for me is that I knew this would be a challenge, and it definitely was.  First of all, I know that I have very little patience.  Second, I am not good with kids.  Third, I literally cannot help her with math- yes, I am that bad at it...don't laugh! ;)  Fourth, most days she drives me up the wall.  It's one of these things that I know I should have the heart for, but I just don't.  This is even more proof that I have no maternal instincts.  So the question is, do I do this next year? Or let someone else take over who may be better than I am at this?  I know that I need to give prayerful discernment to this issue before I make a decision.  Either way, I will fully be supporting the program because it is part of the ministry of our church.  I can be a prayer partner, I'll be present at all of the parties, and I'll be involved on the leadership team for everything else having to do with it.  I just wouldn't be a mentor.  I assume that this little girl will still be in the program- just with someone else.  I just don't know if I can give up so easily.  I'm really torn.  But I can't do everything either.  Thoughts welcome... 

No comments: