Sunday, May 24, 2009

Eventful

A lot has been going on this past week, but what else is new? :)  I officially officiated my first funeral flying solo on Friday.  I've done a few where I've done most of it or have helped, but this was my first one all on my own, and it was for a woman I had never met before.  She was 92 years old and seemed to have an interesting life.  I was fortunate to be able to meet with her niece before putting the service together and learned about her and she shared some great stories that I was able to use in the service.

Then today we had our Missions Sunday- one service only with the Prayz band playing a key role in leading worship.  Normally when we have a one service Sunday, the worship is bent more toward the traditional end with the Prayz band leading only one song.  This time, the service was set up to be more casual and the band got to lead in worship in the beginning.  We still had a choir anthem and a closing hymn, but for the most part, those of us on the Prayz team got to show what we have been up to over the past few months.  Things went really well and I was really proud to be standing up there with them!  We had a woman from Pearlington, MS come all the way to TH and personally thank the Memorial missions team for fixing her house after hurricane Katrina.  She shared her story with us and it was a good service all around.  I got to sing a song called, "We Build" by Nichole Nordeman, and it was the perfect fit for the service.  There were pictures of past mission projects on our screen during the song.  I'm hoping to get a copy of the service and put my song on my blog so at least my parents can see it :)  It was a great song and I really enjoyed doing it.

And now I'm catching my breath for a little bit in between Sunday events.  I just got back from preaching at the assisted living place, which is always something I enjoy doing.  Then Corey and I are off to a cookout with the new young adult group we've been hanging out with on Sunday nights.  And to think Corey and I were worried that we wouldn't be invited to a cookout this year!  We're finally getting some friends :)  Imagine that!  And unfortunately I will not have much of a holiday weekend. After a busy Sunday, I will be spending Memorial Day driving across the state of IN for a Residence in Ministry retreat, which I'm hoping will be a good use of my time (here's hoping!).  I'll be gone until Wednesday.  So there you go.  Lots going on, as usual.  It really never slows down, does it?

No comments: