Monday, May 4, 2009

It's May Already???

Yesterday went really well.  I've heard a lot of people say that I am getting more comfortable in the pulpit, which is always good.  I feel a lot more comfortable, too.  At least my heart doesn't feel like it's going to pound out of my chest anymore when I get up to preach!  I actually have fun with it now, and I'm always trying to improve!  I preached about Jesus being the good shepherd and that he is willing to lay down his life for us, his sheep, and how extraordinary of a statement that is!  And then I talked about how we can be shepherds ourselves with this example of love.  I showed this Liberty Mutual commercial as an illustration:



Last night, Corey and I ventured to the big church in town again and met up with some young adults afterwards.  We went out to dinner and had a really good time.  It felt good to be around people our age again.  We get really lonely sometimes here, even though we have each other.  We keep in touch with some friends from college or seminary, but it's not the same as having people around here to do things with and see on a regular basis.  We really miss that!  So I'm hoping that we can continue this trend and get out there and make new friends.

And...I can't believe it's May already.  We have lived in Terre Haute for almost a year.  Where does the time go?  And I just realized that my 27th birthday is 3 months away.  I'm almost 30!  Seriously...not sure if I'm ready for that one!

I'm also considering trying out to be in the musical, "Evita."  Another UMC in town is doing a dinner theater version and auditions are coming up.  I've really wanted to get involved in something like that.  I just hope my schedule would allow for it.  I'm going to watch the movie this week and see how I feel.  But I'm already getting excited about the possibility!

Lots going on...all good things!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loneliness and feeling isolated are a sad reality of the pastoral life. Jessica feels the absence of people our age more than I do, because I don't have the luxury of dwelling on my preferences for the church very much. I'm glad things are going well for you!