I was asked to write an Advent devotion for the devotion book our church does every year. Here is mine- my day was December 6th, which is this Saturday (and my mom's birthday!)
“Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.” -Matthew 18:19-20
As many of you know, I grew up in a religiously diverse home. My mom is Jewish, my dad grew up United Methodist and is now a seeker of faith, my sister is up in the air about faith, I have a Catholic grandmother, and of course there’s me, the United Methodist pastor and former Jew. My mom and I didn’t start attending a Jewish temple until I was eleven years old. Before that time, the Moffett household consisted of a big live Christmas tree, stockings, ornaments, and tons of presents on Christmas morning for my sister and me. Our Christmas was never associated with church or anything religious- it was more of a family tradition where we all spent the day together giving gifts and having a nice meal. For a few years after my mom and I re-adopted the Jewish faith into our family, our home did not have a Christmas tree. I must admit that our holidays were not the same. We would still have family over on Christmas day and have dinner, but something felt missing. Celebrating Hanukkah (even though it is a small Jewish holiday in comparison to the Christian holiday of Christmas) simply did not have the same feel as Christmas, even coming from a secular perspective.
A few years later I was a freshman in college at Butler and I was just beginning my journey of Christian faith. When I came home for Christmas break that year, I decided to attend a Christmas Eve service. I chose one at a small United Methodist church close to my parents’ house in Knoxville, Tennessee. It was getting to be near 11:00 at night, so I got dressed and started to head out the door, when my dad stopped me and asked if he could come with me. How unexpected this was! So there we sat in this tiny church on Christmas Eve, new faces in the small crowd. The most memorable moment of this night, aside from the beautiful candlelit “Silent Night,” was when I took Holy Communion for the first time. I had been attending a different church before this during my senior year in high school where Communion was not to be received unless you were baptized or had taken vows of faith. So for over a year I sat and simply watched people take communion since I felt uninvited to do so. On this particular Christmas Eve night, we were told that God invites all to this Table and to come receive. This was an amazing moment, and it was made even more special by the fact that my dad was kneeling down next me at the altar railing. Ever since then, my dad and I have made it our own special Christmas Eve tradition to attend a candlelight service together. Now that I am a pastor who will obviously be busy on Christmas Eve and do not live near my family, this tradition might soon become just a memory-but it is a memory that I will always treasure.
Prayer: Dear Lord, during Advent we celebrate your coming into our fleshly world. We remember your mighty acts and acknowledge your sacrifice on our behalf. We pray that during this Advent season that you prepare our hearts and minds for your coming into our midst. We ask for the certainty of your presence and the comfort of your peace. May we share your story with our families who are so near and dear to us. May we be blessed with new traditions in our families this Christmas, that we may continue to celebrate your coming into our lives not just during this time, but throughout the entire year. Amen.
Thinking about Protocol Droids
1 week ago



No comments:
Post a Comment