I finally got to visit Corey's church tonight. He was asked to speak at a revival event they are having this week, and I was glad that I finally had a Monday night free of meetings and got to go. The church where he works feels like a totally different world than my church! It's a Methodist church, but it has this almost camp meeting feel, a little charismatic, a little non-denominational, a little Baptist...and a little touchy feely. I enjoyed the evening over all, but it was definitely an interesting experience. I always find it interesting that churches can be so different even within the same denomination, particularly Methodism with all of its rules so clearly spelled out and hoops to jump through, etc. But I feel that so often churches tend to stray from our Wesleyan heritage and tradition, and the Discipline, and go on their own way. I'm not sure how I feel about that to be honest. I like the fact that I can (most of the time) walk into a United Methodist Church and find obvious traces of Wesleyan theology, traditional liturgy, and (sometimes) the hymns. I also appreciate the newness and freshness of the contemporary services that bring Wesleyan theology into a new light. But...sometimes these things cannot be found in the UM churches today, even when the cross and flame are so prominently displayed. So where does that leave us self-proclaimed United Methodists? Are some of us moving away from the traditionalism that is so distinctly United Methodist? Or are we simply trying new ways to bring Wesleyan thought to life and worship? And finally, should it even matter as long as a church is filled with spirit-filled people who are praising God with all of their being?
Thinking about Protocol Droids
1 week ago



1 comment:
Some would argue that the camp meeting, touchy feely approach is more authentically Wesleyan than many of our staid, formal worship is now.
Post a Comment