Sunday, September 14, 2008

Celebrating the Old and the New

Memorial celebrated it's 40th anniversary in worship today.  40 years ago in 1968, a United Brethren church united with a Methodist church to form Memorial UMC.  The church was almost destroyed by fire 5 years later and was then named the Guidepost church of the year because it was the church that "rose from the ashes."  The church has a lot of wonderful stories and many wonderful people that have been a part of the church's history- and present, and future.  Today's service went really well.  We've been preparing for this day for months, and probably more than that before I got here, and things just went really well.  We had one service, which meant that people who usually attend just the traditional or just the casual merged for this one service, and we had 4 pastors who had served there in the past join us and participate in worship.  It was really great to see my former DS and meet the other pastors from the past.  They were all very encouraging and wonderful people.

I got to sing today, both in the choir and the praise band, and I got to preside over communion. At first I was intimidated because some of the "higher ups" from the conference were there, but when I realized that they were all excited to see me, such a young and brand new person, presiding over communion, I relaxed and reminded myself that this is about serving God and blessing the elements to be served on this special day.  It was a really cool experience.  I actually got the freedom to put together my own communion liturgy for this service, and I think it turned out really well and meaningful.  As I was serving with another female pastor who used to serve at the church, a church member came up to us to receive communion and said affectionately, "Well isn't this nice?  The old and the new!"  After I had presided and everyone had been served, I went back up to the pulpit area to be served, and as I took communion, the other pastors that were there laid hands on the head pastor and I as we served each other.  This was an unexpected small detail, and it was probably the most meaningful in the service to me- to feel that I was being supported and cared for during this intimate moment with God and in fellowship with other clergy.  I know it is something I will never forget.

In other news, I feel like I'm getting sick.  My throat is killing me, and I have another long week ahead of me.  I just hope I can get over this soon.  Also, Corey got a job!  He is now the youth leader at another UM church in town. We are both very excited about this!  It's been a busy weekend....so now I'm going to watch football and be lazy for the rest of the day...sounds like a good plan to me!  :)

No comments: