The next thing is the flow of the service. I will have to start stepping in and saying more in between songs and being more of a leader in the service. This will be a challenge for me because I am not the most spontaneous person and I like to have things planned out for what I will say and when I will say it. My personality leans more toward the traditional model, and yet they want me to play up this casual service. I know I can do it, but it will take some practice on my part.
Third, the service needs a name besides "casual worship." Any thoughts?
Fourth, there is a part of the service built in now where a video song is played with the fancy pictures and the words on the screen...but people just sit there and watch it! What good is this doing for anyone? This time needs to be filled with something more participatory, something more meaningful..but what?
Fifth, prayer needs to be more interactive.
Sixth, we need more visual things, like candles, a cozier space, maybe something representing the message for the week? Stations set up of some kind where people can reflect on their own or with others.
Finally, it just needs to be more interesting, more enthusiastic, more spiritual, more interactive. Am I the person called to do this for this service? What else needs to be done? And can we ever get around this music obstacle? And will the head pastor get to a point where I will be given the chance to preach at this service each week?
Just thoughts to consider...



2 comments:
Sounds like you have a lot of work to do with this service. You know, of course, that no one would mistake me for a contemporary worship expert, so I can't help you much. However, I would encourage you to look at the GBOD worship Web site (www.gbod.org/worship) for ideas about setting up the visual space. Another resource is the UM Music and Worship Planner. Both the planner and the Web site give suggestions for music, liturgy, and visual surroundings that coincide with the week's lectionary text.
Hey Jill-
My liturgical dance group is always up for peforming at a new church or with a new group. Might be something fun to bring to Memorial sometime this winter....talk more later if you are interested! (No pressure just 'cause we're friends.)
We offer a 2-hour workshop too- if you'd be interested in doing a series where we perform, come back to teach, and come back to perform again. Performances are usually free except we might ask for some travel $$ in your case (basically, gas to get one car there). Workshops have a per-person fee to cover our costs and travel stuff.
Let me know..
Post a Comment