
Yesterday was my 26th birthday...that's right, I'm officially in my "late 20s"! Weird. But I had a wonderful day. It was possibly the best birthday I have had in quite awhile. I slept in, got my birthday gift from Corey (a new Vera bag!) and then we headed to Indianapolis where we went to the zoo for free, thanks to my good friend, Becky, and then we ate a family style dinner at Maggiano's, which was amazing! I also got to see some friends that I haven't seen in years. It made me even more excited to be back in Indiana. It was also great to finally hang out with people our age. We really needed that! Anyway, we got back last night and were absolutely stuffed from dinner, and we crashed. Church was good today, too. I didn't have to do anything besides serve communion and sing in the casual worship service. The church sponsors summer missionaries each year that work at local places in the community, so they spoke in the service today and did the other things. So it gave us a break for the most part!
Corey and I had dinner at the head pastor's house again tonight with some people and then he played the board game again (while I watched Supersize me, which I had never seen before) and then turned on the Colts game- very exciting! We finally got to see them at training camp on Friday. It was very hot, but we had a great time! Anyway, I got to talking to the head pastor tonight at dinner about the associate that was there before me since Corey and I awkwardly ran into him at lunch today. It's a long story, but an interesting situation. I won't go into it here. But at dinner tonight, I ended up talking to the head pastor about him and then we got onto talking about the associate pastor position in general, which was very helpful for me to hear. And once again, I came to the much needed realization that I am doing everything I'm supposed to be doing. He described it as a position that usually has to create projects as opposed to having a specific job description or list of things to get done. And ministry is sometimes an "as needed" job because we never know what's going to happen. It's paying attention to the life of the church and doing what we can. And my position as an associate is also to be creative in my planning, think of new ways the church can grow, and simply be there for people and work with the head pastor to care for as many people as we can. We split up the hospital visits, I help in worship, and I'm spending my time right now planning Bible studies and going to meetings, which will pick up in the fall. And I get to do one of my favorite things- sing! My position frees me up to do things like that and be truly involved in different parts of the congregation, which is really neat. Anyway, the point is that it really helped me to hear something about the associate position from the head pastor and it clarified to me even more of what I already thought. And I feel good about it. And I know that if I'm not doing something that I'm supposed to be doing, he will tell me. That's why I am open to learning and growing, because obviously I will not get anywhere if I don't ask questions and challenge myself and hear from others that I need to work on something.
Birthdays, my wonderful husband, clarification, good food and friends, the return of football, our wedding coming up, and our cruise....these are all wonderful things in my life lately. And I intend to hold onto them for as long as I possibly can!



No comments:
Post a Comment