I preached on Romans 8 today, knowing that most people who follow the lectionary preached on the parable of the sower. Since I had just taken a class on Romans, it just seemed right to preach on it. I talked about how as human beings, we do not treat our bodies well in our own flesh, but Jesus himself took on a body so that we might have life in the Spirit. Our whole lives are a process of discovering what life in the Spirit is and how we might live a life in the Spirit. There were lots of other pieces to it, but I won't go into it here! If anyone really wants to read my sermon, just send me an email...I'll send it to you!
But sometimes I wonder what Paul really meant when he says that we now have new life in the Spirit because we are set free from our body of sin and death. What's so wrong with our bodies though? And what does it really mean to live a life according to the Spirit? I have a few vague ideas, but I guess those will have to do for now.
I wish I had more exciting stories to tell or some interesting news, but it's pretty slow around here. Especially with the head pastor being back in town, things might get even slower around the office for a little while. I'm really hoping to start figuring out what I can do with the casual worship at Memorial. It needs some work, but I'm not really sure where to start. Maybe this will be a good time to start thinking about it while it's the summer and there is not much going on. Corey is still waiting to hear about jobs, and our wedding ceremony in Knoxville is coming up! We have the invitations sent out and everything is coming together. I'm really starting to look forward to it! We also booked our honeymoon cruise to Alaska, which will be at the beginning of September. I can't wait! Anyway, that's all for now :)



1 comment:
Sometimes, I feel the same way. I have no really interesting stories to tell about any of this. I wake up, work on sermons, visit some folks, come home, and watch tv. Crazy life of a single pastor!
Post a Comment