Sunday, July 27, 2008

Better Days

The past few days have been great- and I needed a good day or 2!  I've come to the realization that I am doing everything I am supposed to be doing.  Being a pastor is not a 9-5 job, which I already knew, but had to experience for myself, and I am finally beginning to understand what that means.  In the few weeks I have been at the church, I have visited lots of people for different reasons, but 2 families in particular have come full circle in the time I've been there.  For example, today I saw the man that I prayed with before his surgery and his wife at church.  I was very happy to see him looking well with a shoulder sling and he was smiling away and thanked me profusely for praying with him before the surgery.  Now, I think this was all in God's hands, but the fact that I was able to be with them during that time and then was able to see him healing and well today was just a blessing to me.  And the services went well today- besides me skipping a verse in the scripture reading....haha...but that happens I guess.

Here are some interesting comments or questions I've gotten since I've been appointed here:
"Do you get nervous?  You don't look nervous, but I did see your big toe moving around quite a bit during your sermon!"
"It's nice to see you without your robe on."
"S. (the senior pastor) couldn't be here, so he sent us a beautiful angel in his place."
"Do you think Jewish people are going to hell? (With my mother standing right there).  I don't think they are, but you just never know.  What are your political views?"
"Come to a rotary club meeting sometime. (This is a continual invitation).  We meet at 7:30 on Thursday mornings." (Yeah right!)
"You're our new associate?  I didn't know they made them so pretty!"
"You're the new minister?  I thought you were in high school!"
(Commenting on the house we acquired on the church property): "We could use it to house those Mexicans while they work on the roof."
Phone call from someone asking for help: "May I speak to the minister?"  Me: "This is the minister."  LONG PAUSE.  Caller: "Oh...I'm not used to......nevermind."

It's been fun...


In other news, Corey and I spent the day in Indianapolis yesterday.  We had to go there for a health screening (we're both rather healthy except for my extremely high cholesterol, which was no surprise), and then we went out for pizza at Uno's (yes, pizza after our health screening!), and then we spent the rest of the afternoon at the mall and Target!  I had to get my Target fix.  We just had a great day.  And we get to go back next weekend for my birthday!  We are going to the zoo and to Maggiano's for dinner.

I get to preach at the nursing home later today!  Fun fun fun!  Maybe they'll get excited over the mustard seeds I'm bringing in- we all know how well those go over!  They are so cute- they get all dressed up to come to the little service they have there.  Oh, it's always the small things in life :)  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for better days. It takes some time to get settled. I'm right there with you.

Anonymous said...

Yay for Target to get you back on track. We'll have fun this weekend when you're in Indy! :)