Monday, January 28, 2008

It's Not Just About Me Anymore!

Since I am procrastinating and not doing homework, I figured I'd update my lovely blog, even though I wonder who ever reads it!  I had a moment yesterday where I was really hit with the reality that it's not just about me anymore.  It's not just me making the decisions about my life.  My DS emailed me and needed some answers from me concerning my possible future appointment in the UMC.  I began typing something out and stopped and thought...I need to talk to Corey about this!  This was an eye opening moment for me.  For 25 years, I have been the one making decisions about my life (when I was old enough to obviously) deciding what I want to do, where I want to go, and how I want to live my life.  I am still making these decisions, but the difference now is that I have someone who needs to share his decisions with me so that we can make them together.  It's not just about me anymore...and that is ok.  In fact, it's exciting!  I believe there comes a time in most people's lives when they realize that it is time to share your life with someone in a real way.  People come in and out of our lives all the time, and we open ourselves up to them for a certain period of time.  We share our lives with them, let them in, and they become friends or acquaintances.  But the real test comes when you meet someone who is willing to actually live their life with you and be with you no matter what.  I think this is a real gift, and I am so thankful.

Of course, the other side of "it's not just about me anymore" is that I am committing myself to the church, and that means that I am willing to go where I am needed and to serve where and how I am called to serve.  My life is meant to be shared with the people of the church, and of course, with God.  So...the basics of all of this is that I am fortunate enough to be able to share my life with others in different ways and contexts, even though I know it is not always easy.  It's not just about me anymore...and I can certainly learn to live with that!

1 comment:

Corey said...

I'm excited about it too. Very much. I'm excited about spending my life with you, wherever we end up. Wherever we end up, we'll be there together, so how bad could it be?