Friday, December 23, 2011

This Christmas...

Christmas will be different for me this year after just coming back from the Holy Land.  After being in the Shepherds' Field and visiting the actual city of Bethlehem, all Christmas songs and scripture of Jesus' birth have taken on a new meaning.  In fact, I don't think I'll ever hear these songs or stories the same again.  It's so strange that I can picture the actual landscape of the hills and mountains surrounding Bethlehem.  It's so awesome that I can picture in my mind what the shepherds would have been doing and seeing.  It's amazing that when I sing a song or read a scripture that I've heard for years or studied intensely, it comes to life with my memories of what we saw and experienced.

I have this deep longing to return to Israel.  I don't know if it's just because we've just come back from a great experience, or this is a feeling that will stick around until I actually get a chance to go back.  Either way, I want to go back at some point in the near future. This Christmas, my heart will be in Israel.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's a life changing experience, to be sure. I'm experiencing this season very differently for the same reasons. It's been almost a year and that deep longing hasn't gone away.

I pray a blessed Christmas for you, Corey, and Kole!