It's that time...the time in my life where a lot of my friends and acquaintances are pregnant, longing to be pregnant, have young children, or even have 2nd children on the way. In fact, my best friend here in Terre Haute just adopted a baby with her husband. I'm happy for her, but in a way I'm sad because I kind of feel like I'm going to lose her. Such is life.
But here I am, 29 years old, still lots of fertile years ahead, and still no huge desire to be pregnant, to have a baby, or to be a mother. I've had my moments, yes, where I have seriously pondered the possibility, but I have never really felt that huge pull that a lot of women feel to have babies.
The past few weeks, Corey and I have been doing a lot of fun child-free activities, such as a random trip to Bloomington for a day of lunch and shopping, a trip to Indy to eat at the fabulous Melting Pot restaurant, nights of fixing dinner together, watching football, movies, and spending time with Kole. These have been wonderful times. It's fun, it's quiet, and fulfilling if I dare say so.
So am I missing anything? I don't feel like I am.
This is a great article that calls to mind the choices that some women make about their careers and child-free lives, the stigma about child free women, and the reality that our culture is indeed, "baby crazy."
Will I change my mind? Perhaps! Will spending time with my friend and her new baby stir something in me that wasn't there before? I will keep an open mind. But for now, I am content with my life, my husband, my pastoral calling, and what life has ahead for me without a baby.
Thinking about Protocol Droids
1 week ago



1 comment:
Jill, I'm behind in my reading, so I just caught up on this post. My husband and I are also doing the "no kids" route... At least at this point. There is a lot of freedom in it, and at times I do feel like it helps my ministry, but some days I still get that twinge.
Post a Comment