Well...this has been a few weeks where ministry has felt like nothing except cleaning up messes. There have been a lot of complaints over petty things, a lot of people sick or grieving, a lot of things said that have made me really question the nature of the church and its people. It makes my heart hurt that after hearing a great sermon on Sunday about how we all need to come together to help one another out as the Body of Christ, that there are still people that think that
everything is the pastor's responsibility. We are human, too, and can only do so much at one time.
I think I need a break. And a little hope. And a little encouragement that I am doing everything I can to do the best that I can. I really identified with this
article that reminds us all that sometimes when ministry seems overwhelming, plans get rescheduled, and life is unpredictable, to know that "whatever you decide is perfect." This isn't to say that every decision we make is perfect, but in those situations when we feel overwhelmed, that people expect too much from us, that we need to take a moment to decide what the pastoral need is, that whatever we decide is perfect. I like and appreciate that.
The Indiana UMC has also unexpectedly lost a great colleague, friend, mentor, and pastor this week. This man was instrumental in the Residence in Ministry program and helped all of us get through the ordination process. His wife was ordained deacon with me and served a church with him. We are all shocked and saddened about his death. What's weird is that the night before, I was telling Corey that life seems to just be flying by and we just never know what day will be our last. There has been a lot of death lately- people associated with church families, the state fair tragedy, the tragic news stories we hear everyday, but those stories that tend to hit closer to home sometimes. I suppose these are all reminders that we need to cherish each day and to treasure our loved ones for as long as we can.
1 comment:
I highly recommend taking a retreat at the Merton Institute for Contemplative Living in Bardstown. That place has helped me recharge my batteries after some tough times.
Post a Comment