Let me back up for a moment- yes, some people hate the sight of the band's equipment so much, that there were large black cloths made to cover them up for our traditional worship service so people don't have to look at our stuff. And yes, it is my responsibility to keep the area "under control." It also fell to me because the band doesn't like their things to be moved or touched by anyone. Yes, it's a fine line I walk!
So this morning I made my way into the sanctuary to cover up the equipment, and there were very concerned looking people who had already started operation cover-up. I felt like they gave me the death stare as I walked in, like how dare I forget to fix this? I explained that I had been out sick all week, and that I would take care of it, and proceeded to straighten and cover.
But all that time I was thinking, why is this such a big deal? Does it really enhance one's worship experience to have the band area covered up? For some, the answer is yes. Do I understand this thinking? Not so much. Part of me feels that it is a huge insult to the Prayz band and everything it stands for. It says to me that the band is under appreciated by some, and even appalling to some. Our hard work goes unnoticed, and some dislike the band so much that they can't stand to see our equipment because it is proof of our existence. I may be overreacting here, but today was simply a reminder that some in the congregation are still not very accepting of a new way to worship- so much so, that they don't want to acknowledge the presence of something new and different in the sanctuary. It also says to me that people are so distracted by the "stuff" in the sanctuary that they cannot "worship properly," and they can only worship when everything is neat and clean, which seems rather superficial.
So let me just be the first to say....people...please...the Prayz Band instruments won't bite you! They are a means to worship God, too!
Thanks, I feel better now...



1 comment:
Wow. How awful! It really feels like many people go to church just to feel quaint and nostalgic, like modernity is an affront to their faith. Sorry you have to deal with that.
Not to be self-promotional or anything, but I wrote a post a while ago about my preference for praise music, if you're interested: http://mattandjesskelley.blogspot.com/2010/05/why-i-like-contemporary-worship.html
Post a Comment