I've been a pastor at Memorial since June of 2008, so it's been a year and 2 months since I started serving there. The first year flew by- I have no idea where it went! So I thought I'd take a few minutes to talk about some things that I've learned about myself and about ministry through this first year.
1. Ministry has no job description- it is a 24/7 job that entails anything and everything that involves the life of the church. In the past year I have done everything from presiding over sacraments, preaching, teaching Bible studies, marrying people and burying people....to setting up and taking down tables and chairs, to stuffing envelopes, to clearing out offices for construction work to take place- you name anything that involves the life of the church and its people, pastors do it!
2. I have learned that I can be flexible and adaptable to many situations and people- and this is something that I have been told I need to work on- all it took was a full year in ministry to work on this in my personality! I am ready for pretty much anything. Bring it on!
3. They should teach you the following in seminary and many more things such as: how to fill out charge conference forms, what the heck check day is (I'm still not totally sure on that one), how to manage endless phone calls and people coming in from the street to ask you for help, how to balance and manage a church budget, how to take a worship service through a transitional period, how to do clergy taxes, and how to carry out a stewardship and/or building campaign. I've seen and done/helped with all of these things, but still feel lost a lot of the time!
4. People can and will complain about EVERYTHING. No matter how great you think something is going- beware! Someone will have something negative to say about it. Of course, there are always the positives, too!
5. I have learned something new about my leadership skills that I would have never thought to use or grow if not given the opportunity- and that is that I have stepped out of my own box and can lead a contemporary worship service, including through music. I know that I still have a lot to learn about what to say and do and making transitions, but just knowing that I can do it and have grown immensely in this area over the past year is an accomplishment. And...I never really thought that my vocal training would come in handy except for being able to sing in a choir or praise band and have solos every now and then. But my position gives me a chance to lead worship and hopefully lead others to experience God in worship through our praise music. God has really given me the chance to use this gift in wonderful ways!
6. You can't please everyone. Believe me, I've tried.
7. And those people that you try to please...those are usually the EGRs in every church (Extra Grace Required)!!
8. Sometimes when trying to achieve something, acting like you know what you're doing is half the battle!
9. The UMC is struggling even more than I originally thought with bringing in and keeping young people in the church.
10. God can do amazing things through us if we just remain open.
11. Meetings will take over your life if you let them- don't let them!
And finally....
12. Ministry is a wonderful calling and vocation. It has its ups and downs, its tedious annoyances, and people who will drive you up the wall...but it will also bless you with wonderful people, it will surround you with prayer and the courage to do things you never thought you would be able to do. And last but not least, it gives me the chance to give something back to the God who has given everything for me.
Thinking about Protocol Droids
1 week ago



No comments:
Post a Comment