First of all, let me say that we having a great house! But...one of the "joys" of ministry is living in a parsonage that is provided by the church. Corey and I are very blessed to have a cute little house for our first parsonage...but that doesn't mean that it comes without its quirks. As I sit and write this, I am listening to our ghetto lawn mower in the yard as my wonderful husband is out there trying to make it work. It literally sounds like it's dying! Vroom....VROOM...vroom....over and over again...haha! And the other day I pulled the chain on our really old ceiling fan in the bedroom to turn on the light and the whole chain just came right out in my hand! And then there is the stove in the kitchen which looks (and works) like it's something out of the 1950s....it probably is. And there is old wallpaper in the bathroom and some other interesting small quirks. For the most part, the trustees have done their part to help us out, but some of our requests take longer than others. Right now we have a brand new ceiling fan sitting on our bedroom floor just waiting for someone to come and install it for us. This little house had a "makeover" of sorts before we moved in- new carpets, fresh paint jobs, and even a new floor in some places. And the wet dog smell was eventually washed out of the house luckily. Apparently my predecessor did not take care of the house very well, which we got to see when we came up for our take-in interview last May. He even had the office painted in a neon orange color, which for me was the first thing to go.
All that being said, I like our house and the neighborhood...I'm sure it could be A LOT worse!
2 comments:
Parsonages are so weird...like having your own house, but it's not really yours at all. Steve and I are so blessed to live in a huge parsonage, but there are definitely times its frustrating - like having to ask permission every time we want to paint. When we moved in, they wouldn't let us paint ourselves, but hired a professional because we "might not do a good job." Seriously - like I want to live in a badly painted house? Thankfully, they let us paint the nursery! :o)
It's always give and take...
I just shelled out nearly $600 for repairs to the air conditioner, but we get reimbursed because the church owns the house!!!
Post a Comment