Monday, April 27, 2009

The Electronic Sign and a Beach Trip


It's been a busy, but wonderful couple of days!  Last week I went to Indianapolis for a conference, and then I left early to go to St. Augustine, FL to visit my sister for a few days.  We had a great time!  Shopping, beach time, good food, a winery tour, and meeting her boyfriend finally.  Pictures are on facebook, but here is one of us from one of our beach days.

And of course there is always something interesting going on at the church!  The latest thing is that we finally got our long-awaited electric sign out front.  I'll have to take a picture and put it on here soon, but it's really nice, and it's one of those that flashes different messages on the screen that can be changed and everything.  The senior pastor and I spent a ton of hours last week trying to get it to update and work so that we could put messages...and nothing worked.  We knew the computer software was working, but it just wouldn't connect to the sign.  We called the sign people, who told us to call the electric company, who told us to call the software people...you get the idea.  So finally the sign people broke down and came sometime last week while I was gone and got the stupid thing working.  It turns out that we were doing everything right, but that someone installed the wiring wrong. So...it's finally up and running and it looks really neat.  But of course it's given people something else to complain about- for awhile people kept blaming the pastors for the sign not working- like it was our fault or we were too lazy to figure it out...haha.  Then we've had the comments like, "It's too big," "I thought it would look different," "We can't read the messages," etc.  It's always something!  But I personally like the sign and I think it will hopefully bring more people into the church.  There is a sense of accomplishment as well...I mean, how many people do you know that can work one of those signs?!  Apparently this is something else they don't teach in seminary ;)  Oh, the life of a pastor...it never gets dull!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - when you post a picture of the sign, post one of the church, too!! I don't think you've posted any of the actual church yet ...

Unknown said...

The first rule of leadership is that everything is your fault. I had someone complain to me recently that we scheduled an event on a day that it rained, as if I could control that!